Building refurbishments for houses in multiple occupation

HMO’s or houses in multiple occupations require a licence under legislation from 2004 that was introduced nationwide in 2006. The legislation in managed by the local authority housing standards team and although they have a set of guidelines to work to. The final recommendations are from the inspector attending site, similar to when a building inspector is passing building works. So an inspector will look at the end users requirements when they specify the level of alterations that are required to obtain a licence. The housing officer may be more lenient where student lets are taking place than with more vulnerable individual bedsit lets. The main requirements will be for fire protection, usual in the form of an interlinked mains fire system under BS4839 part 6 grades D LD2. Some HMO’s may require a higher level of system with a mains fire board similar to those used in some retail and commercial buildings. The number of lettable rooms may also require additional toilets and hand basins in to be fitted in the lettable rooms. Another requirement is the correct provision and positioning of electrical sockets. They will also ask for fire doors usually FD30 sometimes FD30S (smoke sealed) these will be one of the main expenses in a conversion and refurbishment. They usually require a minimum of two double sockets per lettable room positioned to minimise trailing of electrical flexes. If you are planning a HMO conversion for student lets or for other HMO requirements it is a good idea to use a building contractor who has experience in the HMO regulations.