There are many different names and phrases used for what is usually the same type of work. Steels, RSJ (rolled steel joists), I section beams, and lintels are all used for similar types of structural alterations to existing buildings, and homes.
They are usually inserted to support existing masonry above a “knock through”. This is a very simple and straight forward type of building alteration, often used when two rooms are to be “Knocked through”. This kind of work is simple and straight forward if done correctly, with the correct structural calculations, you must also make sure that you inform your local authority building control department. We do this as part of our service.
They will need to check that the work has been correctly planned so the new steel beam or lintel is suitable to carry the kind of load you plan to expose it to. The only person fully qualified to make this kind of vital decision is a qualified structural engineer. This seems to be dismissed by some general builders. We have been quite shocked at the number of our customers who have been advised by “other builders” that “they know what they are doing, and they don’t need to tell the council”, this is not correct, and could potentially be highly dangerous not to mention costly if work needs to be redone. We were once alarmed to be told by a customer that the “other builder” said “Oh I will just knock the wall out and see if it all holds up”. Lucky we explained the correct process.
- We conduct a basic site visit, from this we can assess if the wall to be removed is load bearing. If we have any doubt or we are concerned it may be buttressing or critical to integrity of the existing structure, we move to step two.
- You will be advised of the costs of the works including the cost of the structural engineers report and the building notice application fee payable to your local authority.
- If you are satisfied that the job still represents good value we arrange a convenient site visit, we arrange for the necessary calculations or report.
- Once we have established all the facts, we will give you a definitive fixed price quotation for the works. This details exactly what is included and excluded, and details the payment terms. If you wish to add extra work at any time, we always agree everything in writing so there are no nasty surprises at the final bill.
- We submit your building control building notice or building control application, and arrange a start date for the works.
- Our team will arrive on time, on the agreed date, and carry out the work with the minimum disruption to your property.
- We arrange for the building control inspector to visit site and check the works at agreed stages.
- Once all the work is completed to your satisfaction we will leave your property clean and tidy. The vast majority of our customers ask us to complete further works in the future.